The Pigeon Lake Watershed Managment Plan – 2017 (“Plan”) has been updated based on extensive public consultation. The Plan is going through a process of municipal adoptions and endorsements from organizations such as the Alliance of Pigeon Lake Municipalities (aplm.org) and the Pigeon Lake Watershed Association (plwa.ca). The Plan is a joint initiative of the PLWA and APLM with support from many local organizations and the Government of Alberta.
The plan encompasses Pigeon Lake and all the lands that drain into the lake (or Watershed). The Plan’s goals are to:
- Reduce the frequency and intensity of algal blooms.
- Improve the health of the watershed and the lake.
- Improve the recreational value of the lake and economic health of the region.
If you are concerned about the lake and the local economy, please read the Plan and support your local decision-makers in their efforts to adopt and implement the plan.
Summary of Input from the Public
Opportunities have been provided to Lake leaders and the Public to learn about the Plan. These include, placement on the plump website, a Leader’s Session in April 2017, two open houses in June of 2017, plus information displays at Farmer’s Markets, and Summer Village Information Meetings, and other events. All were asked to review the draft plan then answer questions placed on an on-line survey.
Thank-you to the 176 individuals who submitted the survey on behalf of at least 397 people around the Lake!
The summary of your input is recorded in the Survey Summary.
The purpose of the Pigeon Lake Watershed Management Plan is to develop a comprehensive, science-based plan to motivate and coordinate action for the improvement of Pigeon Lake, its shore lands and watershed. The Vision of the Plan is: Working Together for a Healthy Watershed, Healthy Lake, Healthy Community. The intent of the plan is to guide people around the lake to make needed changes to the management of watershed lands, the shores and the lake. These actions will ultimately benefit the lake and the people who live, work and play in the Pigeon Lake region.
This Plan is to be recognized within the provincially-led North Saskatchewan Regional Plan (which includes Pigeon Lake), as well as other regional agreements such as Intermunicipal Development Plans (IDP). This plan will encourage people at all levels to choose to get involved and make a difference for Pigeon Lake.
- September/October, 2017 – Endorsement by the Alliance of Pigeon Lake Municipalities (aplm.org) and the Pigeon Lake Watershed Association (plwa.ca) and forwarding to all 12 municipal councils for adoption by resolution.
- October November 2017: representations to the Government of Alberta
- September 2017 to February 2018 – Presentations, review and adoption by twelve municipal jurisdictions represented around Pigeon Lake.
- Ongoing: Continued engagement with such organizations as:
- First Nations of Reserve 138A
- Pigeon Lake Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Lakedell Agricultural Society and the farm community
- Battle River Watershed Alliance
Further information can be obtained from the following websites.
- Pigeon Lake Watershed Managment Plan – 2017 – Approval Draft (September 19, 2017)
- Survey Summary.
- PLWMP Topics page for topics including:
- Cosmetic Fertilizers and Healthy Lake Lawns
- The Model Land Use Bylaw
- Alberta Clean Runoff Action Guide
- PLWA Website for general information and the PLWA Documents collection.